Driving is a part of our lives in Lafayette, and many of us tend to take it for granted. Because it is so familiar and necessary, we sometimes neglect to think about the dangers involved.
Unfortunately, car accidents occur every day which is why car accidents victims need to know how they are protected. They should understand that a negligent driver who has injured them may be liable for their damages through a personal injury claim for damages.
Many Lafayette residents agree that the traffic in the Lafayette area is bad. According to a 2018 Daily Advertiser study, the most dangerous areas in Lafayette for car accidents were:
- 2400 West Congress Street, which saw 77 accidents.
- 3800 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 70 accidents
- 3500 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 66 accidents.
- Johnston Street and Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 62 accidents.
- 4400 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 58 accidents.
- 3100 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 58 accidents.
- 1800 West Pinhook Road, which saw 54 accidents.
- 3200 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 49 accidents.
- 4000 Ambassador Caffery Parkway, which saw 48 accidents.
- 2300 Kaliste Saloom Road, which saw 44 accidents.
The population of Lafayette increases during the day with commuters and others coming into the city. On average, Lafayette Parish drivers spend 19 minutes driving each way for work. That provides ample time for distractions and accidents. More than half of the car accidents that occur in Lafayette are due to driver inattention. Many drivers may engage in risk-taking behaviors.
When a negligent driver has caused a car accident, they may be responsible for the suffering they caused the victim. A personal injury claim for damages may help car accident victims recover compensation for their physical, financial and emotional injuries and is important to be familiar with when an unexpected car accident strikes.